Bolton (UK) - SAFETY inspectors have put a temporary ban on the use of a machine involved in an incident which left a foundryman with severe burns.
The man, aged 25, was working at PMT Industries in Tonge Moor, Bolton when 28 tonnes of molten metal spilled on to the floor.
Molten iron was being transferred from a furnace to be poured into moulds when the incident happened at the former base of Sandusky Walmsley, off Crompton Way, on Thursday morning.
The man was badly burned when he was splashed by the liquid metal.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive are expected to return to the foundry on Monday to continue their inquiries.
They have temporarily banned all employees from using the machine used to move the molten iron, which has a melting point of 1,538 degrees Celsius.
A spokesman for the HSE said: "An inquiry into the incident has been launched and inspectors were back at the site on Friday.
"They have issued a prohibition notice to stop anyone pouring molten metal. This is not apportioning blame. We just don't know what happened or what went wrong as yet. Inspectors will be returning to PMT Industries next week to gather witness statements."
The man was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital but later transferred to the specialist burns unit at Wythenshawe Hospital, where he is still understood to be in a critical condition.