The global production of ferrous and non-ferrous castings is estimated at 80 Millions tons, value exceeding US $ 100 Billion. The global trade in metal castings is estimated at US $ 10 Billion and is expected to multiply in the coming years. Advanced countries are confronting a marked change in the business climate and rise in production costs. As a result they are opting for large scale outsourcing to countries such as India, China, Brazil, Spain, Mexico and countries of the erstwhile Eastern Block. These countries are now adopting latest manufacturing techniques in order to meet the needs of the advanced countries.
Global Foundry Industry- Future:
Technology, Innovation and Human Skills will be the key drivers of the casting industry in the near future. Usage and advancement in alternate materials like composites and plastics are already a threat to the metal casting industry.
It will be imperative for manufacturers to reorient their overall approach by adopting the best practices to be competitive from all perspectives. Here are some distinct developments in the casting industry of late.
- Computer Based Design(CAD) for simulation of casting and tool manufacture.
- Alternative mold and core materials.
- High Pressure molding techniques.
- Rapid prototyping.
- Advances in Lost Foam, Investment Casting and Melting Techniques.
- Mechanization in fettling and cleaning operation of castings.
68th World Foundry Congress - Theme of the Congress - Cast for Competitive Edge:
The 68th World Foundry Congress, being organized by The Institute of Indian Foundrymen, at the Chennai Trade Centre in Chennai from February 7th to 10th,2008 will be on the theme " Cast for Competitive Edge". To sustain continuous growth in every aspect, the foundry industry has to embrace change; change to Technological innovation, change to improved manufacturing practices to enhance cost effectiveness and change to upgrade human resource skills. All these are crucial in gaining a competitive edge.
56th Indian Foundry Congress:
The 56th Indian Foundry Congress to be concurrently with the 68th World Foundry Congress, is an important national event held annually for the Indian foundries to showcase their products and capabilities and project what they can offer to Indian and International customers. It provides valuable opportunity for exchange of information on all subjects connected with the metal casting industry.
The Congress will include Technical Sessions that will cover presentations by eminent speakers from India and overseas on the congress theme, a Buyers Forum for business interaction and a thought provoking and useful Technical Forum on the congress theme. Post Congress Industrial tours to some of the leading state of art foundries in and around Chennai are also being organized for the benefit of delegates. An interesting program for the spouse accompanying the delegates will include sight seeing of Chennai and its environs. It will aim at giving the taste of the culture of southern India.
International Foundry Exhibition - IFEX 2008:
IFEX 2008 is an International Foundry Exhibition that expects wide participation both from India and overseas. This event is an appropriate platform to reflect the present state of the foundry technology worldwide, spread over 11000 square meters.
- Profile of global participants will include Casting Buyers, Foundries, Foundry-Equipment manufacturers, Raw Material suppliers, Machining and Software solution providers.
- An excellent opportunity for industry suppliers and buyers to transact business for mutual benefit.
- An ideal and informal platform for visitors to interact with exhibitors for seeking solutions to their casting needs be it in the selection of processes, machinery, products or technology for expansion or environment control.
- Will also show case latest software solutions and machining equipments for the benefit of the foundry industry.
- Will be held at the Chennai Trade Centre, known for its state-of-the art facilities.