The Brembo Group inaugurated its new production hub today for the manufacturing of aluminum brake calipers in Nanjing, located in China's Jiangsu province. President Alberto Bombassei was there to welcome the distinguished Italian and Chinese authorities who were present.
After nearly 20 years of operating in the Chinese market, Brembo has set up a new production hub next to the existing plant where brake discs are manufactured. The hub covers an area measuring almost 40,000 square meters.
All of the production stages in the value chain have been integrated into the new site, from delivery of raw material to shipping the finished product. Doing so ensures better service for the factories belonging to Brembo customers in Europe, Asia and America that operate in Asia.
The plant contributes about 100 million euros per year to the Group's turnover and employs 450 people. With 67 production lines, from calipers to knuckles, and the foundry, the facility offers a production capacity of more than 2 million pieces per year and adopts the most advanced technologies available today.
"It is with great pride that I inaugurate this new production hub in China on the occasion of the first official visit of the Chinese authorities who are here with us today," says Alberto Bombassei, President of Brembo. "This event is dedicated to a highly tangible illustration of the innovative process and product technologies Brembo uses in the production site on behalf of its customers that operate in China. Today's inaugural event also confirms Brembo presence in one of the most strategic geographic areas as regards to our growth and development," concludes Alberto Bombassei.
The new plant was built according to the most progressive criteria to guarantee quality, efficiency and environmental protection with an eye to minimizing waste and maximizing energy recovery by applying the strictest regulations imposed by the Carbon Disclosure Project protocol.
Brembo in China
Brembo entered China in 2001 with the formation of its first joint-venture. In 2008, it acquired the majority shares of Brembo (Nanjing) Brake Systems Co. Ltd., gradually reaching 100 percent control in 2013. In 2009, the logistics Aftermarket hub was established in Qingdao.In 2016, Brembo joined the Brembo Huilian (Langfang) Brake Systems Co.Ltd. JV as a majority holder with its partner SASAC.
The Group currently operates in China with four different companies.
Brembo (Nanjing) Brake Systems Co. Ltd. incorporated Brembo (Nanjing) Foundry Co. Ltd. in 2017. The company is specialized in the development, production and sales of original equipment brake discs for the automotive market and braking systems for cars and commercial vehicles. In 2018, the company recorded sales of 159 million euros and had 632 employees at year-end.
Qingdao Brembo Trading Co. Ltd. was founded in 2009. The company carries out logistics and marketing activities in the economic and technological development hub in Qingdao. In 2018, it achieved 35.26 million euros in revenue and at the end of the year it had 27 employees.
In 2016, Brembo SpA acquired 66 percent of Brembo Huilian (Langfang) Brake System Co. Ltd, a Chinese company that owns a foundry and a plant for machining cast iron brake discs, supplying automotive manufacturers throughout the region. The remaining 34 percent of the share capital will continue to be held by the public company Langfang Assets Operation Co. Ltd. under the authority of the Municipality of Langfang Cities. In 2018, it achieved 78.5 million euros in revenue and at the end of the year it had 670 employees.
In April 2016, Brembo announced the establishment of Brembo (Nanjing) Automotive Components Co. Ltd.,60 percent of which is owned by Brembo SpA and 40 percent by Brembo Brake India Pvt. Ltd. The company handles the casting, machining, assembly and sales of braking systems for cars and commercial vehicles. In 2018, the company recorded a net revenue of 74.2 million euros.