Foundries are constantly seeking new ways and opportunities to improve their casting quality, productivity and savings – all at the same time. In response, DISA has developed a system, enabling foundries all over the world to boost both quality and productivity, while improving yield at the same time, compared to other standard vertical moulding processes.
One of the key points is to increase the available pouring time, as that remains one of the critical bottlenecks in today’s vertical foundries. There are two possible ways of increasing pouring time:
1. DISA Double Index, basically enabling the DISA vertical moulding machine to perform a double index, when pouring two moulds simultaneously, achieving an additional 30% pouring time
2. DISA Fast Pour, where the fast pour system is working with a large pouring cup enabling the pouring unit to pour up to 10 kgs/ sec. The actual casting is not poured at this speed, as a restriction in the gating system ensures that the casting is poured with 3 to 5 kgs/ sec.
The DISA Double Index System is enabling the DISA vertical moulding machine to perform a “double index” or double mould transport. When pouring two moulds simultaneously, the additional pouring time is achieved. Basically, double pouring can be done in two ways:
1. One pouring unit equipped with two pouring nozzles. Running with two pouring nozzles requires a more or less fixed mould size. It is possible to change the mould size, meaning changing the pouring spout of the pouring unit
2. Two pouring units. Running with two pouring units gives the flexibility to adapt to the different thicknesses of the moulds.
The main advantages of the Double Index System are:
- Increased productivity by up to 30%
- Increased pouring time by up to 30%
- Increased yield by 2-3% due to optimal pouring speed (reduced size of the gating system).
In practical terms, higher productivity of up to 30% can be achieved with heavy castings, e.g. with a casting such as a ventilated brake rotor, the productivity increase will typically be around 10%. Customers not considering the higher productivity can use the Double Index System to get a higher yield, less scrap and an improved casting quality.